Our client is a foremost electricity distribution company requiring the services of a suitable candidate for the role of Head, Technical Operations. The Head, Technical Operations will provide leadership and management expertise for the planning, coordination and delivery of efficient and cost-effective power distribution services for the achievement of the company’s corporate objective. S/he will ensure that new projects are technically and economically feasible and environmentally consistent with the company’s strategy.
- Candidate should have excellent public speaking and/or platform skills for management, executive and possible Board presentations
- Strong communicator both oral and written with highly developed inter-personal, training and computer skills
- Strong conceptual as well as quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Flexibility and responsiveness in managing multiple projects in sometimes high-pressure situations simultaneously
- Exceptional ability to collaborate with other areas of the business (most especially commercial operations) to drive the business objectives and lead through influence
- Adequate exposure and strong competencies in Operations & Maintenance, Equipment Testing & Commissioning & Projects and Works
- Specific experience working in a power distribution/ generation company within the Technical Services Department
- Adequate exposure to new generation thinking in power distribution technology
- Superior knowledge of the end-to-end Power sector value chain in Nigeria
- 44 – 50 years/ Mature individual with high level of gravitas
- Manage the technical network operations/ distribution function, providing leadership, encouraging teamwork and facilitating the amalgamation process in order to achieve high performance standards and staff pride in the cost effective distribution of power
- Formulate strategies for Operations & Maintenance to ensure that objectives of reliability and continuity of electricity distribution supply are met
- Develop maintenance programs, for operation and maintenance in respect of the company’s power distribution network
- Prepare the annual business plans and operating and capital expenditure budgets, ensuring that adequate funding provision is made for all activities.
- Monitors expenditure against approved levels on a regular basis and investigates and justifies significant variances to ensure effective performance and cost control
- Formulate the development of policies, procedures and standards to direct and control the technical field operations effectively
- Participates in the award of contracts, for all technical infrastructure projects, responsible for selection of vendors and materials.
- Develop program of work for the department to ensure that deliverables are achieved within established timescales.
- Monitor project progress against agreed time, budget and resources.
- Ensure all activities are undertaken in strict compliance with approved technical system operation procedures in order to protect the company’s personnel, assets and corporate reputation
- Obtain information on regional and international trends and developments in the power distribution sector in order to identify those that can be recommended for effective adaptation and deployment in the organization
- Accountable for all project works, testing and commissioning
- Manage and monitor to ensure all the distribution systems are working seamlessly
- Ensure that training and development needs of staff are identified and satisfied and counsel staff on both work related and personal issues and disciplining staff as and when necessary.
- Monitor department’s performance through Key Performance Measures.
- Champions and ensures all Health and Safety codes are adhered to for all field operational activities.
- Takes responsibility for compliance with all Quality Management System /Occupational Health & Safety related activities in the department as documented in the departmental operations manual, risk assessment register and other relevant documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the COO or designate
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Relevant industry and professional certifications
- Overall experience of 20 years’ experience, 5 of which must be at top management position in the Technical Department in a reputable organization in the power sector. The preferred candidate should have
- 10 years core technical operations experience
- 5 years project management experience (Power projects)
- 5 years management experience (Leading a diverse team)
- Experience should be broad-based and include exposure to managing and implementing technical projects within the power sector
- Prior experience in core technical operations within a government owned power utility company would be an added advantage
- Current experience must be at a senior management level in a core technical operations role with a multinational power company
Applications are welcome from suitably qualified candidates.